Achilles Tendon and Plantar Fascia Stretches
- Stretching should be performed 2-3 times per day.
- Hold stretches for 30 seconds each side and then alternate sides, then repeat.
- The muscles are most receptive to stretch after periods of exercise.
- Since the Achilles tendon crosses the back of the knee, the knee should be extended during stretches.
- Allow the foot and heel to "tip" inward during the stretch to better isolate the Achilles.
- Use a therapy band or towel to passively stretch without using the muscles around the ankle.
- Pull your body toward the foot while grasping the towel to also stretch the Hamstrings.
- Cross the affected leg over the other while seated.
- Use the hand of the affected side to perform the stretch.
- "Palm" the toes and bend both the toes and ankle upward to perform the stretch.
- Use the opposite hand and feel that the fascia becomes tight like a guitar string.
Get Adobe ReaderYou will need the Adobe Reader to view & print these documents.